Monday 13 September 2010

The Americans have landed

Another positive day today as we have finally been connected to the outside world. Our telephone and ADSL line started working today. I have never taken drugs but I imagine the sensation must be similar to how I felt when I finally established a high speed internet connection. What a relief to have a fast connection and a proper telephone line!

I didn't want to keep this sensation just for myself. I immediately went about checking the signal strength in our gites to allow us to offer our guests free WIFI. Luckily, the signal was strong enough to reach to the furthest gite so now we are happy to offer this to our guests.

We have welcomed our first American guests this evening. I don't know what it is with Americans but I can't help feeling in awe of them. I like the larger than life aura that they bring with them and I was really happy to talk with them about the history of the war. Many Americans come here on a sort of pilgrimage and many have lost loved ones on that fateful day in June 1944. I am hoping that our guests will share their D-Day stories and allow me to have them on our site.

One of the Americans asked how why we have come to Normandy to live. That is a difficult question to answer; however, I told him that we are simply carrying the baton of history for some years after which, we plan to pass onto someone else. We want to do our bit to keep the history of this great war alive for future generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment