Thursday 2 September 2010

Day of days for the kids

It is children’s first day at their new school in Sainte Marie Du Mont. For my eldest son Yoann, it is not his first time in school; however, it is for Peyo.

Shortly before 9, we arrive at the school and I have to say, I probably had more apprehension than them. I don’t understand why but perhaps it is a long lost memory of my first day at school.

We seem to be some of the first people to arrive but a few minutes later, numerous cars pull up and before I know it, there are kids everywhere. Some seem excited but most have the same expression as my children.

I took some time to observe the parents and most seem to know each other and kiss in the typical French manner. I was aware that some of the parents noticed my English registered car arrive and no doubt, we will be a topic of discussion at some point. For the moment, I am not involved with this morning kissing ritual. It is probably not a bad thing either! As I was rushing to get to get the kids ready, I did not have enough time to brush my teeth. I am sure my breath smelt bad that morning so kissing strangers was the last thing I would have wanted to do. Probably the last thing the strangers would have wanted to do as well! Perhaps the comparison between my breath and Camembert would have also been a topic of conversation. As the French have a love affair with cheese, this actually may have worked in my favour.

My eldest son is very sensitive and it was extremely difficult for him that morning. Peyo did not have a care in the world and took to school like a duck to water. Despite their apprehension and suffering, it gives me a few hours to get on with organising the house move. A little later today, I will visit Ivy House to ensure that everything is in order. We trust the current owners but we have been instructed to do this by our Notaire; French bureaucracy rearing its ugly head once more.

Later that day, just before 5 O’clock, I returned to the school to pick the kids up. Just like in the morning, the kissing ritual started again. I had brushed my teeth by then but as I was still a complete stranger, there was no kissing for me. Just as well really as there seemed to be more men than women.

The kids looked happy to see me but also wanted me to suffer for making them endure this experience. I tried to make a fuss and ask them lots of questions about what they had done and learned. As this was met with complete silence, I decided to keep my mouth shut for the short journey back to the gite.

Alice, our au pair, understood that it was a difficult day for them and tried her best to console them both with some balloons. As you can see from the photo, I don’t think it helped really.

Let’s see what their faces are like after the second day at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment