Sunday 26 September 2010

Following me following you

I am very computer literate but it is only in the last month or so that I have capitulated and started using facebook, twitter and blogs. I had always been skeptical as to what benefit this would give me. I have to be honest and say that I still don't know!

With this social networking, I feel as if people are watching me; or following me as they say. I find this concept very strange. Does this mean that by the time I have written this, posted it, shared it, tweeted it and god only knows what else happens when I press the publish button, there will be people reading it. Will people be judging me on what I am thinking? Will I be on the next news bulletin for saying something controversial? I think not but who knows!

A good friend of mine convinced me to create a Facebook page for our Normandy gites. He convinced me that if I use Facebook, the bookings at Ivy House will increase. I can see the potential with this viral marketing but how can we gauge it. I look at the faces on my page and yes, they are increasing but will this keep us in business; or are these faces just ships that pass in the night? Are these faces waiting for us to fail to then have there chance to say, "we told you not to do it!"

I am starting to realise what it must be like to have an imaginary friend. I write these entries, update content on our site and add facebook posts; all the time thinking that there is an army of people reading them. Perhaps even showing some interest in our business. All this conversation but no reply. Surely this social networking is just one big imaginary friend!

If it is true that people are reading my thoughts and looking at our site and facebook pages, why does it feel so empty. Perhaps there comes a time when things start taking off and this one way street of communication becomes two way. As a clairvoyant once said, "is there anybody there?"

No comments:

Post a Comment