Thursday 9 September 2010

Biting the hand that feeds us

After my post yesterday, I had a great piece of news. The Doctor has told my wife that she should stop working and rest until the baby is born. As a result, she arrived late last night to surprise us all. What a relief; reinforcements had arrived!

Her first request the next day was to go shopping. So here we go again off to Carentan. Luckily, today it was only for a few small items. We managed to find a store that was something like the pound shops in England. I was very relived to see that the total for todays shopping was less than 10 euros. This did make too much of a dent into our finances, unlike the previous few days.

We had parked across the road and as a result, we had to cross over the main road leading into Carentan. My hands were full with our new purchases and as I ran across the road, I dropped a small brush that we had bought. A lady driving a car had noticed this and stopped and sounded her horn. By this time, both lanes of traffic had stopped to see the spectacle. The look on the ladies face in the car was of pity. I had my heavily pregnant wife on one side of the road and she must have thought we were romanian gypsies who were walking back to their caravan. Of the few items I had, this included a bottle of mayonaise for Alice the au pair, some batteries and a pizza cutter, and of course the brush that was causing the hold up.

A little later that night, we received an email from a client who has booked to stay with us next week. He had been told that despite not staying for a full week, he would have to pay the for the full week. This is something that the previous owners of Ivy House had insisted on. We are trying to run a business and need to make a living; however, we decided to reduce the price for the gentleman to the price that we thought was fairer. I guess we are biting the hand that feeds us and as we are in business, we should make as much as we can. We don't see it quite like that and we want our clients to feel that they have been treated fairly. Will this mean we will fail in our Normandy adventure? We will have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment