Friday 17 September 2010

If only I could bottle it

The Americans left today for the long trip back to the United States. I am still in awe of Curt; he is definitely larger than life. We were sad to see them leave; no doubt like the people of Normandy were at the end of the war. The buzz that they brought with them has gone and it's back to reality.

The friendly English family invited me round for a game of cards. I suspect it was out of sympathy as earlier, I had proposed a game of Risk with them. They looked at me strangely when I mentioned "would you like to play a game of risk". From the look in their eyes, I imagined that they thought that they had booked a holiday at a swingers convention. When I explained that it was the board game based on world domination, they seemed more at ease.

I have been missing speaking English and my wife knew that. She suggested that I ask them but I sensed that they did not want to play. I started thinking about the garlic sausage once more and took the hint and retired to the house. To my surprise, a little later, there was a knock at the door. "Would you like to come to the gite for a game of cards?", the English lady asked. Having had the knock back earlier with the offer of a game of risk, I thought about cutting my nose off to spite my face. Should I tell her that I was washing my hair? The fact that I have very little hair wouldn't have washed with her; me neither, so I accepted the offer.

I am sure that I have a problem with my memory and as I have trouble remembering certain things. I am sure that I have a problem with my memory and as I have trouble remembering certain things.I can't even remember the last time I played cards!

They explained the rules to me and sensing that I did not understand, they began to speak slower and louder; as people do with foreigners or people with learning difficulties. I probably seemed to fit the criteria in their eyes no doubt!

After the explanation, they asked if I understood. I seemed to have had the same feeling when I visited the Notaire the other week when I signed the legal papers for the house. She asked the same question; in French of course. "Do you understand?". I am sure I heard one of the English people mutter, "is he still breathing", as I had the blank look accross my face. "Oh, yes, of course. I understand". I am probably not a convincing liar as well as having a bad memory, learning difficulties and smelling of garlic sausage.

Beginners luck! After being explained the rules over and over again, I won the first round; or do they call it game? Perhaps they felt sorry for me and let the fat kid win to make his onlooking parents feel proud.

As the night went on, the conversation got funnier and funnier. We seemed to bounce of one another and before long, we were laughing uncontrollably. I can't remember the last time I laughed this much. I seem to forget a lot of things; however, I wanted to write this in my blog to help me remember this great time I had with them. I just wish I could bottle this humour as I am sure it would be great for a stand up routine. One of the big draw backs for being a comedian is that you have to remember the punch lines. For that, I am not destined for a life on stage.

The English people leave tomorrow. I wont mention their names but if they read this blog entry, I want to say thanks for coming to stay with us. It has been an absolute pleasure to have them stay with us and they are welcome back to our home anytime.

Having had great guests, it made me think about that awful Tripadvisor review that was wrongly aimed at Emma and me. Perhaps I should start a website where the owners of gites, hotels and bed & breakfast establishments could review their guests. That way, we could vet them before we allow them to reserve. It that site existed right now, I would certainly leave a review for the English family as follows:

5 stars out of 5
Adorable English family that are ambassadors for Great Britain. Very respectful, honest and very witty. Would I recommend them to other establishments? Yes; however, I would much prefer if they came back and stayed with us. As Curt would say: "They are amazing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment