Tuesday 14 September 2010

Normandy Battlefield Stories

Our house is surrounded by history and it is very easy to forget. All these years after the Normandy invasion, the countryside is now peaceful. In fact, if you didn't know that the biggest invasion in human history happened in the fields surrounding our house, it could just be any countryside. The fact is, it is not and it is steeped in history.

As I have been shopping almost everyday, I had began to forget that we are living in a special place. I had a conversation with one of our American guests and this made me realise that I was getting side tracked; this helped to relight my enthusiasm for the history and the place where I am now living.

In all of the fields around our home, the bunkers and Utah Beach itself, there is a story to tell from the Normandy invasion. In the land behind our house, there was a field hospital and a prisoner of war camp. When I told the American gent about this, I could see the amazement in his eyes. This made me think that we should never forget what happened here all those years ago. I just hope that I can do my bit to share this important history lesson with the guests who come to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment